Village Church was organized September 22, 1819, located "in Section 11, Township 7 Range 8, east of the Third Principal Meridan, five miles southeast of Norris City, Illinois." It is one of the oldest religious organizations in this part of the State and derived its name as follows: "In the early days several families settled in the vicinity and custom became prevalent of calling their settlement 'The Village'. Tradition also has it that a branch of the Shawnee Indians at an early day had a camp or Indian Village near the place."
The first pastor was Rev. David W. Macklin. He was in charge until his death. Rev. Jesse Pearce was the second pastor and served until his death in May 1851. Rev. John Porter followed and preached until his death.
Among the first members of this church were Alexander Trousdale and wife, Edah, a sister of Jessee Pearce; Edward or Everet or Evard Garret and wife, Nancy Trousdale; Priscilla Davis, Polly Davis, Samuel Hill and wife, Lucy Joiner.
The first elders were Henry McMurtry, Austin Hill, and Samuel Hill.
Camp meeting were held there for fifty-two consecutive years. The church held services in remarkable regularity, which was interrupted in 1874, when for a year or so, no service was held. Many of the members had joined Mt. Olive church and other societies. January 4, 1985, a meeting was held and measures were adopted for the revival of the work. They were successful and the meetings have been held without intermission since.
Under the charge of Rev. W. J. Sneed, in 1894 the fourth building was erected and dedicated. During this period the church had a labor debt of $300.00.
The Old Village Church celebrated its 101st Anniversary Sunday, September 19, 1920. The crowd was too large for the building. Seats were carried outside and placed under the spreading branches of the oak tree, which was older than the church.
There is a cemetery adjacent to the church and the remains of many of the earliest settlers of community lie there. Many inscriptions are worn away by the elements. There are at least a hundred head stones without names to indicate who was buried there. Dates indicate a few were born before the Revolutionary War.