Rozzell Chapel Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized in October 1877. The very first record is found in the Obion Presbytery Minutes held at Memphis Theological Seminary in Memphis, Tennessee. Minutes of the fall 1877 minutes are missing and in the Spring minutes of 1878, we found Rozzell Chapel already seated, and represented by Elder T. H. Tucker. Church records before 1912 were lost. We found many of our ministers and elders in these minutes. We thank the Seminary for loaning us this treasure.
In 1877, the congregation after many years of using the Rozzell Chapel School as their place of worship decided to build a church. At this time, Miles Rozzell and his wife, Melissa, donated the land on Old Dublin Road to The Whosoever Will Believers. Organizers were Miles Rozzell, John Yates, and Tom Milburn. Trustees were W. T. Milburn, A. H. Vann, and Winfrey Jackson. The first pastor was Rev. John Davis Kirkpatrick. The Rozzell School was later moved to another site on Old Dublin Road, where it is still used as a private home.
For many years, the church struggled meeting once a month and sometimes on Saturday afternoon. In 1942, the church was redecorated with new pews and by putting brick siding on the outside. Pastor at this time was Rev. T. E. Bright. In 1948, a committee of Estel Clapp, Rex Clapp, Hoyt Mayo, and Edd Cook were appointed to see about building a new church which still stands and her doors have never been closed. First services were held August 28, 1949. A dedication service was held June 11, 1950, with Rev. E. R. Ladd and Rev. E. A. Mathis conducting the service.
Rozzell Chapel has been honored with three of its members called to preach the word of God. They were Rev. C. A. Yates and Rev. Milton (Chott) Clapp who were also pastors, and Donna Clapp Davenport. In 2004, we were blessed again when Andrew Clapp, age 16, son of Elder John William Clapp and the Great Grandson of Rev. Milton Clapp, answered God's call to preach.
A part of the church history was the organization of the Rozzell Chapel Quartet. Original members were Rev. Milton (Chott) Clapp, his son, Phillipine, Estel Clapp, and his wife, Deltha. In 1962, Lida Clapp joined the group singing lead at the retirement of Rev. Clapp. The group officially disbanded in 1988, after the death of Estel Clapp.
In 1971, two bathrooms and a Sunday School room were added to the front of the building. The Ladies Aid Society added a lighted steeple in 1991. Rev. James C. Moreland and his wife, Eva Lynn, came to us in 1974, and under his leadership, a fellowship hall and four more Sunday School rooms and two additional bathrooms were added to the rear of the church. Much of this work was done by the young men of the church. Later new carpet, pew covers, and beautiful stained glass windows which tell the story of Jesus Christ were installed inside the church. Stained glass was also added to the foyer and two front bathrooms.
Rev. Moreland passed away on June 30, 2003, the anniversary of his contract with Rozzell Chapel. He was much loved and missed by the congregation. We are honored to have him buried in our cemetery, along with Rev. c. A. Yates and Rev. Milton (Chott) Clapp.
Our congregation has many young people and is very active helping the community, church, and our children's Home in Denton, Texas.
Known ministers are Revs. John D. Kirkpatrick,, J. V. King, C. G, Kennedy, W. M. Andrews, M. D. Jones, W. F. Nunley, E. S. Hicks, C. A. Yates, S. P. Tucker, c. C. Clemens, Hubert Covington, L. C. Kesler, Scott Johnson, T. E. Bright, M. F. Allen, Edd Glover, Milton (Chott) Clapp, Bill Bond, James C. Moreland, and present Pastor Rev. Fred Fahl. God sent Rev. Fahl and his wife, Ruth Ann, to us January 26, 2004. He was installed April 25, 2004. God just keeps blessing Rozzell Chapel.