Providence First Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized on January 6, 1896, and has continuously rendered a service to the community. It was dedicated during the year 1887, with the Rev. J. T. Barbee preaching the dedicatory sermon. The church owes its origin to a revival held under the auspices of Rev. W. L. Brown (missionary minister), assisted by several other ministers.
The revival was held in the Old Sharon Church, where the Methodist Church now stands. It was the only church in Providence at that time. Results of the revival were 100 converts, 51 of which became members of the church. Fifty-four joined by letter.
The present church building was completed in 1911, under the pastorate of Rev. J. R. King. The approximate cost of the building was $2,500. Other contributions were made in labor and material. The timers were cut and hauled form a country sawmill near Dawson Springs.
Dedication was held the second Sunday in August 1912, with the Rev. J. L. Higgins (editor of the denomination paper, The Cumberland Presbyterian) preaching the dedicatory sermon.
Many improvements have been made over the years in the original structure. In 1918, the basement was dug and partially finished, and in 1937, the basement was enlarged and a coal furnace installed. The building was also redecorated.
In 1953, an oil furnace was installed and the basement painted. In June the following year, a complete interior decoration project was completed which included new pews, altar furniture, hardwood floors, painting, and light fixtures. In 1961, construction of the educational building composed of five Sunday School rooms and a fellowship hall. In 1965, construction of new restrooms and a kitchen was finished. In 1967, carpet was purchased for aisles and altar, plus tuck pointing was done on exterior walls.
In 1968, the church purchased an electric organ and air condition was installed in 1971. In 1975, an extensive remodeling and redecorating project was undertaken. In 1977, the property next door to the church was purchased for use as a manse which was also remodeled.
Four young men who were members of the church became Cumberland Presbyterian ministers: G. F. Phelps and two of his sons, J. E. and Earl Phelps, plus Colvin Baird. Rev. C. F. Phelps was stated clerk of Princeton Presbytery for many years, and Dr. Baird became president of Memphis Theological Seminary.
Elder Lyda White published a monthly church newsletter for many years.
There has been an active Women's organization since 1918, responsible for organizing many church projects.