We are told that around 1875, in northern Calloway County, Kentucky, our first church worshipers met in a local log school building. They called themselves Friendship Church. Soon a simple building was erected.
In 1878, with W. J. Lamb, as representative the congregation was received into Obion Presbytery, West Tennessee Synod of Cumberland Presbyterian Church, by the name "Oak Grove". The first pastor was ministerial candidate, M. D. Jones, being paid twenty five dollars a year, preaching once a month.
By 1892, a new frame building was built nearby on a site given by George McElrath. Through the years, renovations and additions were made to the structure. The original frame structure is still being used as the sanctuary.
March 18, 2001, Oak Grove dedicated a new education annex containing 6 classrooms, kitchen, and restrooms. Invested seed money from the estate of John and Jessie Crosby (brother and sister) and contributions from offerings and donations made this possible.
Dexter, Kentucky Cumberland Presbyterian Church merged with Oak Grove, March 1958. Oak Grove accepted those members and elders of Dexter Church that wished to be part of the congregation. (John and Jessie Crosby came from Dexter Church.)
A church manse was built in 1964 on land given by Nell and Grady Gordon.
Friendship Park, the developed church recreation area, and Oak Grove Cumberland Presbyterian Church serve the community in many ways: Vacation Bible School, Sunday School class sessions, Sunday morning and evening worship services, outings, Crusaders, CPYF, choir, weekly Bible Study and family gatherings.
At the present time Oak Grove is an active rural congregation meeting to worship and witness to the community. Rev. Randy Lowe, Pastor, has been serving the congregation since September 1994.