HOPKINSVILLE CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
















2701 Faircourt Street, Hopkinsville, KY

The Hopkinsville Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized in Hopkinsville, Kentucky, in 1825 or 1826.  The congregation was too small to finance a building program so they agreed to complete the Unitarian's building and occupy it alternatively with them under a ten year lease.  The location was on the north side of Russellville Street later known as Seventh Street, between Virginia and Liberty Streets.  The first elders were David Usher, John Finley, and Resin Elliott.  The first pastor was Rev. James Y. Barnett, great grandfather of Rev. Dan Perry.

On January 20, 1840, a storm damaged the Unitarian building so that it could not be used.  On March 23, 1841, the congregation purchased a lot just across the street and a new church was built there.

The Civil War was a very tragic time for the church.  The building was first used as a hospital by the confederate Army.  Then, Indians along the Trail of Tears were housed there.  Later it was used as a carriage factory, and the building was badly damaged.
On October 9, 1869, Hopkinsville became a member of Davis Presbytery.

Another blow struck the church on October 25, 1882, when "The Great Hopkinsville Fire" destroyed much of the city and completely demolished the church building.  A new church building was erected on the same lot and it was completed in 1884.
The church purchased building lots at the corner of Fairview Drive and Faircourt Street in July 1956.  The new church, at this location, was completed in January 1961.

On March 26, 1976, eighteen years from signing (1960), a Note Burning ceremony was held.

In April of 1977, ground was broken for the new complex on the east side of the Faircourt church. This included the library, the Sunday school rooms, bathrooms, fellowship hall, and kitchen.

From November 18, 1979 to May 13, 1983 the nursery and kitchen were used five days a week as a nursery called “Small World”.

Ministers who have served as pastor:
James Y. Barnett, 1829 – 1848; A. J. Baird, 1848 – 1851; S. B. Vance, 1851 – 1852; Joel M. Penick, 1868 – 1870; James M. Gill,   1870 – 1871; A. H. Berry, 1871 – 1873; R. J. Beard, 1873 – 1876;  M. O. Smith, 1877 – 1881; J. O. Francis, 1881 – 1883;  A. C. Biddle, 1883 – 1895; W. J. King, 1895 – 1897; M. B. Dewitt, 1897 – 1900; J. L. Wyatt, 1900 – 1906; A. C. Biddle, 1906 – 1909; N. L. Clemons, 1909 – 1911; J. B. Eshman, 1912 – 1917; J. W. Stiles, 1917 – 1921; N. J. Salyer, 1921 – 1923; G. G. Halliburton, 1927 – 1930; J. S. McLane, 1930 – 1931; Ky Curry, 1931 – 1938; H. R. Allen, 1938 – 1939; Walter L. Chesnut, 1939 – 1947; Virgil Weeks, 1948 – 1952;  Paul Kapperman, 1952 – 1954;  J. R. Wooten, 1954 – 1955; Paul F. Brown, 1955 – 1961; James E. Talley,     1962 – 1993; Joseph Butler, 1994 – 2001;  Bob Dixon (Interim), 2001 – 2002; James Rippy, Oct – Nov 2001; Tom & Theresa Martin, 2001 – 2006; Daryl Alhart, 2007  - 2008; Carlton Hatcher (Interim), 2008; Jason Heidel, 2008 - Present

INDEX