The Fredonia KY Congregation of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized October 18, 1845, by a provision made by the Princeton Presbytery. Services were first held in a log cabin, and the first pastor was Rev. William C. Love.
In 1850, the log cabin was replaced by a beautiful red brick structure. With the union of 1906, the Presbyterian Church of the USA took control and part of the congregation, loyal to the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, close to leave. They meet for three years in each other's homes, during which a board of elders was election.
On July 10, 1909, the elders purchased a white frame church on the corner of what are now Shelby and Dorroh Streets, from the Methodist. It was dedicated to the Lord and Rev. J. L. Price was the first pastor. Rev. W. T. Oakley followed Rev. Price as the pastor. Mr. Ruben Ray, united with the church November 14, 1909, is the only charter member.
During the depression years (the late 1920s and 1930s), the church had no pastor and at times it seemed almost impossible to continue. At one time, there was no Sunday School Superintendent, and Mrs. Rosalie Akridge assumed these duties. The ladies of the church were willing workers and raised money to help with finances. Ray and Vera Blackburn united with the church, and Ray became Superintendent, served as Sunday School Superintendent and elder at both the old church and the present building.
In March 1947, pans were made for a new building. In May 1948, the old church was sold and a building committee consisting of C. A. Wilson, J. D. Bugg, Sr., and Aubrey Litchfield was appointed. The present lot, Hwy. 641 South, was purchased from the Caldwell County School Board. The building was completed in 1949, and all day services were held that first Sunday in May. During construction, Rev. Ray Wigginton, pastor, kept encouraging the work along, backed by the most loyal session any church could possess.
The pews were later purchased by individuals and the Ladies Aid donated money for the carpet. The beautiful oil painting that hangs in the fellowship hall was painted and donated by Mrs. Sarah Custer of Colorado. The pulpit furniture was donated by Mrs. Lucille Scott. Rev. Alfred Bennett donated the floodlights and the cross.
A fellowship hall and Sunday School classrooms were added in 1970 and in 1995 an activities building was constructed.
Ministers at the white frame church were Rev.: G. L. Woodruff, B. B. Loyd, Virgil Stone, O. D. Spence, F. L. McDowell, H. H. Hunter, Russell Tatum, S. B. McNeely, Lacy Baird, G. H. Austin, J. K. Patterson, Arleigh Matlock, Archie Smith, G. F. Phelps, C. M. Womack, and Charles Hendricks.
Other pastors who have served at Fredonia CP are: Revs. Alfred Bennett, Paul Belt, Bill Petitt, Bro. Roman, Don Tabor, Bro. Mattingly, Steve Louder, Bro. Whitworth, Buddy Pope, Gary Carlton, Curtis Franklin, and currently Larry Buchanan.