Ebenezer Church Road and Watson Road, Thompsonville, IL
The church was organized in 1863, by two Cumberland Presbyterian ministers, "old Father" Richey and W. F. Gray, with nine charter members. During those Civil War Days, Ebenezer was a flourishing church with an attendance in the 60s.
Inside the church a portrait has hung in tribute to Rev. W. A. (Austin) Cowgur, an exemplary man of God, who pastured the church for 40 years from 1910-1950. During the 1950s into the early 1960s, the attendance remained in the 60s. Following a period of decline in the late 1970s and early 1980s to nearly the same numbers as the original members, the congregation once again rallied with attendance into the 30s and 40s during mid to late 1980s.
Today with only a handful of the faithful remaining to hold on, they are not a people to give up, but are with God's grace and mercy, very determined. Although attendance is much less now than the glory days of the past, God's Spirit still blesses in this place.
The church and adjacent cemetery continues to fill a vital need to the community and surrounding area. The church is located in the northeast corner of Ebenezer Church Road and Watson Road, one and a quarter miles off Illinois Highway 34, in the Western part of Saline County.