Calvary Cumberland Presbyterian Church is located off of Highway 58, three miles west of Highway 45 and 8 miles south of Mayfield, KY.
No exact date is known of the church beginning; however, in the autumn of 1838, Calvary was represented at Obion Presbytery in Mayfield. Reportedly, an old log church was located by the creek across Highway 58 about one mile north of the present location.
After the Civil war ended, the church grew, and a large frame building was constructed in 1865. The exact site of this building is unknown. In 1903, land was donated at the present site and a one room frame building of the gothic design was constructed. The heating system was pot-bellied stoves located near the front. Fires were built with coal. Services were held at 10:00 a.m. each Sunday morning for Sunday School and the preacher would come every other Sunday (1st & 3rd) to preach the who-so-ever will gospel. Bro. D. W. Fooks was ordained as pastor in November
A custom started in the 1930s and still observed today is Homecoming and Decoration day held the 3rd Sunday of May with morning service, dinner spread outside on long tables, and with singing in the afternoon.
Calvary began to prosper when the Atomic Plant opened in Paducah with members making a good living and the tithing increased at God's house. The Congregation moved for a few months two miles west, to a garage shop building so that the old frame church could be torn down and a new brick church constructed facing the gravel road south of Highway 58. The actual cost was less than $22,000 and was paid in full in two years.
Some later improvements and growth of the church include the following: a new organ purchased in July, 1962, additional land purchased joining the church in 1966, two restrooms, and plumbing installed in 1971, a ground breaking in 1978 for a fellowship hall and kitchen built adjacent to the church. A full time pastor, Rev. James E. Garrett, was employed in 1980 and moved on the field. The year 1990, a house was purchased in Pryorsburg on Highway 45 to be used for a manse, for church pastor, and in the 1990s, the parking lot was blacktopped.
During the past years, the church has become more active in supporting the needs of several ministries in the community including: the American Cancer Society, the Hope for Life Telethon, the Needline and Food Pantry of Graves County, the Gideons International and the Ronald McDonald House.
Calvary Church participates in an annual Easter revival services and the second Sunday of each month conducts singing services with the residents of Green Acres Healthcare.
"To God Be The Glory Great Things He Hath Done" by supplying the church the following list of shepherds to lead our congregation where hundreds of persons have been converted to God: J. T. Kirkpatrick (1882), W. M. Andrew (1895), D. W. Fooks (1900), J. M. Russell (1905), S. B. Rudolph (1907), M. T. French (1911), J. E. Edwards (1914), E. S. Hicks (1918), S. B. Rudolph (1924), L.E. Colson (1928), E. S. Hicks (1931), C. C. Clements (1933), Hubert Covington (1936), T. E. Bright (1941), Ed Glover (1942), Martin Rudolph (1944), A. D. Smith (1946), O. D. Spence (1948), O. A. Gardner (1950), B. L. Grill (1958), Milton Clapp (1959), E. A. Mathis (1966), Joe P. Thornton (1973), James Fulton (1976), James E. Garrett (1980), James Fulton (1984), Terry Vasseur (1990), Bud Russell (1994), and Dean Atchison (1996).
Although it is a small country church sitting on a hilltop in southwest Graves County, it is His Church, which preaches the Bible and shows love for its fellow man. The congregation prays it will always remain true to God until Jesus returns to take His followers to Heaven.